Photo and caption by Mary Kate Feeney (Framingham, MA); Boston, MA
“Always and Never”, also known as “Death and the Maiden”, 19th century, Pierre-Eugène-Emile Hébert.
The oldest Orthodox church of Hungary – Our Lady of Ráckeve
Ráckeve, a town about 50 km south of Budapest has a mixed ethnic background. The town’s first Serbian settlers came here in the 13th century, at the time of King Béla IV. In 1440, there was a new inflow of privileged Serbs, followed later by those Serbs who were running away from the Ottoman invasion of their original homeland. The Serbian Orthodox Church was built by them in late Gothic style in 1487, making it the country’s oldest Orthodox church. Several additions were made to the church through the centuries and a clock tower was added in 1758.
The walls and ceiling of the church interior are covered with colourful frescoes painted by a Serbian master, Todor Gruntovich came from Albania in the mid-18th century. The walls depict scenes from the Old and New Testaments and a panopticum of saints; they were meant to teach the Bible to illiterate parishioners. The first section of the nave is reserved for women; the part beyond the separating wall is for men. The two side chapels date from the early 16th century, as does the lower section of the free-standing bell tower whose upper, Baroque-style section was finished by 1758. This is the time, the richly carved and gilded Baroque style icinostasis dates back too. The chuch is dedicated to Our Lady („Nagyboldogasszony”).
Buona giornata a tutti !
A simple candle with a burning wick and slowly melting wax dripping down the sides by Ferdi Rizkiyanto
Seite 2 von 1028