Church built on the plain – Aracs
Aracs (today Arača) is a medieval Romanesque church ruin located on a terrace, about 13 km east of the Tisza river bed at an altitude of 80 meters.
The church was built around 1230, when the territory was part of the Hungarian Kingdom. It was robbed and devastated in 1280 and reconstructed in 1370 as required by the Queen Elizabeth, and that’s when the Gothic tower that exists today was, probably, built.In 1417 the church and the setlement came into possession of the Serbian despot Stefan Lazarevic, later falled into the hands another despot, Durad Brankovic, who gave it, as a present, to Pál Birinyi. In 1551 Ottomans burned the cathedral down and it was never reconstructed again. In the end of the 18th century it was a possession of Sissány family.
Excavations - led by archaeologist Péter Gerecse – were organized at the end of the 19th century and submitted to light findings that will greatly enrich the knowledge of Aracs, and simultaneously become the trademark of this place. Aracs soon became the subject of interest and discussion, speculation, and analysis that is largely related to the review and interpretation of characters in one of the broad side plates. To a lesser extent, commented the ornaments on the sides of the same plate. The state takes care of the site, and the Law on Protection of cultural monuments and natural rarities of SFR Yugoslavia and solutions from 16th February 1948 said this: “The Arača-Romanesque church in ruins at Vološinova, county of Begej, AP Vojvodina is considered as national importance monument, and it is placed under the protection of the state with its immediate surroundings.” The explanation further states: "Three-aisled basilica, Benedictine Dalmatian-type built in the XIII century on the foundations of the older building, the church Arača twice destroyed, and preserved until today, have some parts of its massive buildings which can be used for studying the cultural history of our people." More extensive excavation and general protection of sites and conservation-restoration works were performed in the period 1970-1978. Arača was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1990, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
Basilica of Aracs is a three-aisled church, with three semi-circular apses, from inside and outside. The width of the apse in the middle of the ship is about 4.9 m, with a depth of about 2.6 m. The width of the apse side is about 2.7 m, with a depth of about 1.4 m. Organization, relations and dimensions of apses, pointing to the parish church. It is certain that for those who have established Aracs, these places of the world had a deeper meaning, primeval later transpose to the ideas of Christianity.
Seite 1 von 1290